Nov 27, 2020
Limited Retention Requirements
The College of Business is competitive based on a student’s overall GPA and performance in selected tool courses. All business majors must complete FINA 320, MGMT 335, MKTG 295, and OMIS 338 by the end of the first year in which they enroll in 300- or 400-level business courses. Prerequisites for MGMT 335 are: a grade of C or better in each of the Foundations of Business courses; having a 2.50 or better cumulative GPA; and having completed at least 45 semester credit hours. To continue as a business major, students must earn a C or better in FINA 320, MGMT 335, MKTG 295, and OMIS 338. Additional retention requirements for each major can be found under Department Requirements.
Check departmental information for any additional requirements.
Foundations of Business Courses and Business Core Courses (47-50)
The Foundations of Business and Business Core courses must be completed by all students majoring in business.
Foundations of Business Courses (29-32)
Business Core Courses (18)
Requirements in Department (22)
Course work from the following (9)
Requirements outside Department (6)
TOTAL HOURS FOR A MAJOR IN FINANCE: 75-78
General Education Requirements (9-15)
In addition to completing the above major requirements students must complete the remaining general education requirements. If major requirements fulfill any of the general education requirements, they are listed below and subtracted from the general education credit requirements.
The required minimum of 21 semester hours in Knowledge Domain studies cannot include more than two courses in any one department. (A course with an affiliated laboratory course shall be counted as a single course.)
Foundational Studies (0-6)
Writing Requirement (0-3)
- 3 credits satisfied by program requirement ENGL 203 or ENGL 204
Oral Communication Requirement (0-3)
Quantitative Literacy Requirements (0)
- Satisfied by program requirement MATH 211 or MATH 229
For additional information about these requirements, please visit Foundational Studies .
Knowledge Domains (9)
Creativity and Critical Analysis (6)
Nature and Technology (3)
- One 3-credit course selected from approved general education list. Nature and Technology Course List
- OMIS 259, a program requirement, fulfills one of the course requirements in the Nature and Technology Domain.
Society and Culture (0)
- The program requirements ECON 260 and ECON 261 fulfill the two required courses in this Domain.
Knowledge Domain Elective (0)
- PSYC 102, a program requirement, fulfills the required Domain elective course requirement.
Graduation Requirements (3-6)
In addition to completing the above major requirements students must complete the remaining graduation requirements. If major requirements fulfill any of the graduation requirements, they are listed below and subtracted from the graduation credit requirements.
Human Diversity Courses (3)
Writing Infused (0-3)
- FINA 391, a program requirement, fulfills one course requirement.
- If FINA 485, a program option is taken, it fulfills one course requirment.
- If FINA 485 is not taken, one course from the approved Writing Infused list must be taken. Writing Infused Course List
TOTAL HOURS FOR GENERAL EDUCATION AND GRADUATION REQUIREMENTS: 12-21
TOTAL HOURS FOR ELECTIVES: 21-33
The course subjects listed below are recommended as suitable for many finance majors. The most suitable choices are dependent on each student’s particular background, aptitudes, and career goals. Additional recommendations are available on request from the finance area departmental adviser.
- Written and oral business communication: Departments of Communication, English, and Management
- Computer applications and systems analysis: Departments of Computer Science and Operations Management and Information Systems
- Interpersonal skills (i.e., human resources, industrial psychology): Departments of Management, Psychology, and Sociology
- Financial information: Department of Accountancy
- Mathematical and business quantitative methods: Departments of Mathematical Sciences and Operations Management and Information Systems
TOTAL HOURS FOR A B.S. DEGREE IN FINANCE: 120