The Biological Sciences degrees with honors will be awarded to students satisfying the following requirements.
1) Maintain a GPA of at least 3.50 in all departmental BIOS, CHEM, MATH, and PHYS course requirements;
2) Gain approval for admission into the program from the Department of Biological Sciences Honors advisor, as well as the faculty member under whom the student will engage in research;
3) Complete BIOS 370, Directed Research in Biology and 6 semester hours of BIOS 495, Directed Research Biology Honors, or BIOS 499, Directed Research University Honors under the faculty member’s supervision;
4) Present and explain the results of the departmental honors project at either the departmental or university undergraduate research symposium; and,
5) Submit an approved senior thesis to the departmental honors advisor.
Note: Collectively, a maximum of 9 semester hours of credit in BIOS 370, BIOS 490, BIOS 495, and BIOS 499, including no more than 3 semester hours from BIOS 490, may be applied to the major.
The University Honors Program is separate but complementary to the departmental degree with honors. Eligible students may participate in one or both programs simultaneously since there is some overlap in the requirements. Students interested in the University Honors Program are encouraged to contact the University Honors office for more detailed information.